Monday, October 29, 2007

Diary of the Dead Update

First Night, Dawn, Day, then Land, George A. Romero, father of the modern zombie movies now brings us his 5th installment titled Diary of the Dead. Since it was shoot last year in October 2006 I've been waiting to see it. Made it's premier at the Toronto Film Festival in September this year.

Everyone seems to really dig it, from Variety to Fangoria to USA Today. The only bad review I read slammed it for it's documentary style "Blair Witch" look as an excuse for poor film making. I'll have to see for myself to form an opinion but having seen every Romero film countless times, I'm ready for what's next.

The movie takes place starting over the genre, only right since it is his baby. We follow 4 college film students making a horror movie in the woods when the zombie apocalypse breaks out. Is shot in first person documentary style, hence the comparisons to "Blair". I have seen some movies done this way that have failed, or have been highly effective in involving the audience, taking them along and putting them in the action.

I recently read Diary was shown again at Screamfest 2007 in Los Angeles. It was bought by The Weinstein Company for around 2.5 million with a guaranteed theatrical release. Oh yeah baby, now I'm stoked because it is getting treated right. I'll keep posting but keep an eye out for a release date and go see this movie. The Weinstien's were also behind Grindhouse, my favorite 2 movies I've seen in years We have to support their releases with ticket numbers so they keep it up, releasing horror films that are different, creative and on the cutting edge.

Official Site: http://myspace.com/diaryofthedead

Source Article about purchase: http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=11766

No comments: